What is Digital Cleanup Day ?
Digital Cleanup Day is a global movement to raise awareness about the environmental impact of the digital. This annual day encourages participants to both clean up their digital space and sort their digital equipment, in order to reduce the environmental footprint, unrecycled digital waste, storage costs, and energy consumption.
Digital waste is a little-known reality that can have significant consequences.
For example, online data storage accounts for about 6% of global electricity consumption in 2020 and only less than half of e-waste is collected!
Participating in Cleanup Day digital is therefore a concrete way to take steps towards more responsible digital use. By reducing digital waste and adopting sustainable work practices, companies can not only reduce their environmental impact, but also strengthen employee cohesion, improve efficiency and reduce security risks.
The actions of Algorila
As far as we are concerned, we have decided to inform and involve local companies in our building or close to our address on Avenue Louise.
Do you have unnecessary telecom or computer equipment?
- Between March 13 and 17, 2023 :
Come drop off your working or non-functioning telecom, or computer equipment at 137 Avenue Louise (ring at Eugeka or call the 0231 553 83 if you have any difficulty):
- Mobile phones, phones, mobile devices, tablets
- Fixed computers
- March 16, 2023 :
We will pick up your equipment, if you live on or near Avenue Louise.
For this, please send us an email to email@example.com specifying the type and quantity of equipment.
- If you are interested in learning more about digital responsibility, but don’t have any materials to donate, please contact us!
We will do our best to collect as much material as possible!
Where will my equipment go?
After collecting the equipment, we will donate it to Circular.brussels, a non-profit organization that works to reduce the ecological footprint of the Brussels-Capital Region by collecting, reusing and recycling computer waste from companies in an ecological way. If you are considering buying a new laptop or desktop computer, you can also contact them!
How to organize your own digital cleanup day?
Here are some key steps to follow:
- Prepare for the day by defining the goals, actions to be taken and resources needed.
- Also, make sure you have the support of management and communicate clearly to the entire company.
- Be sure to support participants throughout the day, providing tools and practical tips to help them clean up their digital space.
- Communicate the results of the initiative internally and externally to inform stakeholders of the positive impact.
- Continue for the long term by creating a project team that will be in charge of preparing the next digital cleanup initiative.
- Also consider partnerships to ensure proper collection and processing of digital waste.
Make sure to engage your teams:
- Clearly communicate to all employees: goals, timeline, participants, and expected outcomes.
- Hold kick-off sessions and group work times to help get the initiative off the ground.
- Plan quick wins to motivate employees and facilitate buy-in.
- Communicate results to employees on a regular basis and inform them of the next steps to come.
Finally, here are some concrete examples of best practices to follow:
- Distinguish between short-term actions and long-term best practices to help employees adopt more responsible behaviors.
- Be as concrete as possible to accompany employees in the process, by providing them with practical guides, tutorials and tools adapted to their professional environment.
Thank you for your commitment, follow Algorila in its fight against digital waste and join us on Linkedin or Facebook!